Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Patterns

LONDON--Alright, alright. I'll admit it. I'm a slacker. Two weeks without posting anything is a bit long.

Have you heard Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee"? That's the pace of my trip. Sixteen days in Europe already and the tempo hasn't slackened in the least. If fact, I'll argue life is a bit more crazy now with four classes and travel plans for the next three weekends.

As soon as I got here, I immediately began looking for patterns. Any composer, including Rimsky-Korsakov, will tell you that patterns are created by repitition, and more importantly, patterns can greatly enhance a musical piece. The first week in London was exciting, tense, and certainly overwhelming to all the senses. Everything was new and chaotic. By the first weekend, I was looking forward to the patternized schedule forced on by classes. Finishing up my second week of class I feel that I'm living in minute 2 of "Bumblebee"--still a frenzy, but now with some reliability. And, of course, my experience is enhanced. I feel more like a local.

Since we're on the topic, the public transportation system in London is FULL of patterns. I can count on seeing three types of people riding the tube at just about any time. Type number 1: the content, British man. Simple in presentation--button-up shirt, some type of bag or jacket in lap, reading material, slightly overweight, balding to some degree, and with the 5 o'clock shadow (if it's 5 o'clockish). Like everyone else on the tube, he keeps to his quarters and doesn't make eye contact. Type number two: the oddball. Dressed to be different, the oddball sports black attire, possibly black makeup (not to the extent that some Americans wear), and has a posture and presentation that's more rebellious. Type number three: the potential criminal. No one knows his story, but either a sketchy childhood or a bad day leaves this guy with a facial expression that makes me believe he's going to kill someone. Be careful not to make eye contact with him.

Patterns are telling me I should study BLAW.

1 comment: