Monday, August 31, 2009

Closest Comparison

London Day -- My best attempt to express the mixture of feelings is by way of analogy. Three years ago I joined the Wind Ensemble, not entirely confident in my playing but more so excited to see where the group would take me. The group took me to Orchestra Hall--my first time there. I vividly remember approaching the stage doors, walking out on stage, dodging percussion equipment, trying to find the best route without tripping, and making sure I didn't knock music over. That's the visible me finding my seat on the OH stage. Here's my thought process, best respresented as a checklist:
First: (approaching stage door) "Oh, no. Do I still have all my music?"
Second: (approaching stage door, still) "Bow-tie. Check. Fly zipped. Check. Shoes tied. Check."
Third: (going through stage door) "Don't trip. Don't trip. Don't trip."
Fourth: (back toward audience) Fake smile at someone.
Fifth: (back toward audience) Check for third time to make sure phone is not on me.
Sixth: (sitting down) "Everyone can see me, but I can't see anyone"
Seventh: (standing to welcome conductor) Profuse sweating.
The riled up nerves, discomfort, anxiety, excitement, and perspiration on performance day match the state of Scott today. Once again, excitement dominates by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment